Monday 13 July 2015

Reading Between the Lines

In "Stumbling Blocks in Intercultural Communication", Laray M. Barna lays out six common types of issues associated with intercultural dealings. On this list are things like differences in body language and differences in outward personality (Assumption of Similarities, Nonverbal Misinterpretations), differences in spoken language and connotation (Language Differences), being caught up in stereotypes (Preconceptions and Stereotypes), misinterpretation of actions and immediate judgement as "wrong" or "abnormal" (Tendency to Evaluate), and stress caused by being in different situations and with different people (High Anxiety).

I found that I experienced three of these during my time in England: Assumption of Similarities, Nonverbal Misinterpretations, and Language Differences. The biggest difference I noticed was the difference between the American form of politeness and the English form. In America, as noted in Barna's article, we are friendly in our politeness, perhaps overly. We smile and wave. We say 'bless you' when someone sneezes in public. We are vocally thankful more more loudly than our English cousins. When someone asks how we are, we respond with how we are actually feeling. People in England usually give a nod when they run into someone they know when they're out, if they do respond at all. Sitting in class, I noticed that my English peers don't say 'bless you' when someone sneezes, when I feel automatically compelled to say it. (Much to the chagrin of Professor Bulman back at Allegheny) In England, the automatic thankful remark is 'cheers'.  You say 'cheers' when a server brings food, as you disembark a bus, as you collect your groceries to depart. It's rather informal. Another thing that people in England do is ask "you-all-right". This, I have learned, is almost rhetorical. Once, in the hallway of my flat, my flatmate said this to me. I responded with how I was feeling (good but a bit stressed) and she looked a bit thrown off. I asked her how she was and she just said fine and continued on her way.

There are small language differences that exist between American English and British English. For instance, what is featured in the picture below:


I would call this a faucet. People in England call it a tap. I confused the porter when I spoke about the separate faucets in my bathroom sink. 

I confused lots of people by asking where the restroom was. Many just gave me a weird look and I had to clarify. My English friends say toilet or loo over bathroom or restroom. As an American, I find toilet a bit.


Finally, now that I know what "Tendency to Evaluate" is, I can hold back on judging others for things like this. Now I know that every action, every word, is defined by culture. And I must pause and reflect on what I mean and what I present and also on what others mean and present. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.