Thursday 30 April 2015

Reading Between the Lines



Tanneries in the middle of the Fez medina




Camel anyone?
Walking in the medinas of Morocco can be intimidating for young foreign women. I have heard many things shouted at me from leering men and have been followed. This is a common type of harassment in the old cities. Some less crude lines include "spicy", "Shakira", the classic "hey", and my favorite "how many camels?". I was even dressed modestly while receiving all these comments. I find humor in some of these when I rethink about it but overall when I'm in this situation or when the harassment is more crude it can be extremely intimidating.  When my friends and I were accompanied by our guy friends the harassment was significantly less than when it was just a group of girls. This harassment has been very difficult for me, but thankfully it is off campus where this usually happens.

Shops are closed but a medina street view
Interestingly enough I took a trip to Fez with the Interfaith club. We were required to dress traditionally because we were going to the mosque to see the Imam. Fez is the city where I have received the most harassment, yet this time I was complimented by many people. Instead of leering and insulting I received praise? I was so confused. Previously I thought that if I were to wear traditional dress I would be seen as insulting their culture, however it was the opposite. I believe that this is because there is still a hostility between traditional Moroccans and Westerners. To Moroccans dressing in a traditional religious fashion is showing the highest respect to anyone I saw. Whereas wearing my modest western clothes and walking through the medina like I deserve respect is a completely different thing; and a thing that I did expect to receive as a human.

I have never lived in a society where I felt genuinely fearful of walking alone. It opens my eyes to find out how blessed I am to live somewhere I can feel safe in the US. Although the States is not perfect in comparison to the objectification I have experienced by catcalling in Morocco is not comparable. It makes me realize how well off I really am in our society as a female.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.