Monday 13 April 2015

Reflecting on Experience

Privilege is something that a lot of people have, but do not realize they are gifted with it. Certain aspects of life are acquired just for being born into a certain family, a certain race, or at a certain time. There are stereotypes associated with all races, types of people, jobs, and basically anything imaginable. These stereotypes come about from others who might not understand the stereotypee or by someone who dislikes them. Sometimes these stereotypes were made in fondness, but most of the time only the negative ones are remembered. 

As an adopted child from China, I am used to getting odd looks when I go out with family. People often think that I am the girlfriend of my brother, which is an easy mistake to make since I am the only person that does not fit into the look of our family. My parents are white, hard-working, middle-class people. We have always had enough to get by, and that is something that I constantly take for granted. I had the privilege of growing up in a soft life, with no significant amounts of obstacles or fights just to survive. I was given education, clothes, food and shelter. I am grateful for what I have, but I often times do not appreciate it to its fullest. 

To be an American here in Australia is an interesting experience. On the journey over, I met a lot of Australians that were returning from abroad. They had visited America and Europe, and had been away for a few months. They would always say that they loved Americans, and that they really loved our "accents". Unlike the normal European view of Americans, Australians really liked us. A lot of my friends here were surprised that I come from the states. They get to know me and do not associate me with their typical model of an American. I am not an extremely loud person, which is what a lot of people think Americans are. People genuinely like us here, and it's really nice. Everybody that I have met has been wonderful. 

This opportunity to study abroad is not a once in a lifetime chance. I believe that you can do anything you set your mind to, with enough work and determination a goal will come to fruition. A lot of people I know were so happy for me to be studying abroad and would say things like, "I wish I could do that too!" or something along those lines. I know that money is an issue for a lot of people, but something else that keeps people from studying abroad is comfort. They are scared to go out of their comfort zone and experience something completely alien to them. I was so scared coming over here, yet I was also extremely excited. I was traveling half way around the world, and I would get to spend months there. Experiencing a new culture, learning about its traditions, its people and its rules. It's fascinating. I believe I have learned a lot being over here. I have learned how to work with all different kinds of people, and I am more adaptable in the work environment. I think this trip has also made me more financially aware. I'm used to working and being able to spend the money that I earn, but here I do not have a job and that really limits what I can do. I get to spend time with my friends, but traveling too much is out of the question. 

This experience has helped me grow so much in the little time that I've been here. I've made new friends, explored a small portion of an extremely large country and become accustomed to extremely hot weather! I know that the memories I am making now will last for a lifetime. 

McIntosh, Peggy. "White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack." In Ed. Paula S. Rothenberg, Race Class and Gender in the United States: An Integrated Study 4, 21988. 165-169.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.