Monday 23 February 2015

Intercultural Negotations


Buenas! Costa Rica has been really amazing so far. We've spent a lot of time in National Parks exploring the local ecology on the Pacific coast from the dry forests up north to the humid forests in the south. Along the way, we've interacted with many Costa Ricans, or Ticos, as they call themselves. The culture here is reminiscent of home, with the biggest difference being that here the sewage systems aren't built to handle toilet paper, so you have to throw your used paper into a trash can. When I walk through the street, I do see and hear the attention of men more strongly than in my country, but as any Costa Rican woman would do, I pretend to notice nothing. The same thing happens in New York City, so really it's not anything new. The Costa Ricans are extremely patient and kind. When I am in a restaurant trying to order something but not sure how to express what it is that I would like, the waiter or waitress is very understanding and we're able to talk through my questions. Anyone is willing to give directions, offer a ride, or just greet you in passing on the sidewalk. Costa Ricans are definitely accustomed to having us gringos around though, because a lot of their economy is based upon tourism. As I passed sugar cane, banana, and pineapple plantations I also drove by countless tour buses and signs for adventure attractions. Although the culture here is similar to that of my home, reading "Intercultural Communication" informed me of a term called power distance, which is contrasting two cultures by measuring the social inequality present in each. While I think the power difference is very low, indicating that equality here is relatively widespread, the roles of women are more traditional and limited, such as women being cooks, maids, and sometimes cashiers or waitresses. When our class breaks down camp to load the truck or boat with our supplies and luggage, the men who drive the vehicles are always trying to take my load. I don't feel that as a woman I am unable to carry the supplies and load the truck, but I guess in this society the women would have a different role in packing. I don't think I've been in the country long enough and had enough interaction outside of studying biology in the field to decide whether women are unequal to men, but I can conclude that the roles seem to be separate and more traditional.

I'm excited to see what comes next in my adventures-- I've finally moved to a town, Monteverde, so I will be able to experience more Costa Rican culture. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.