Wednesday 18 February 2015

Intercultural Negotiations

I though I understood when people told me that it would be “different” living in another culture. I thought that if I knew enough about it, that it would be an easy transition, like nothing had really changed. I was wrong. While I have not experienced culture shock, as the French culture is fairly similar to our own, I have definitely noted many differences between our cultures. Also, through my friends that I have made here, I have not only come to know about French culture better but other cultures within the US. Being a suburban girl who was lucky enough to have her own car, I have never really needed to rely on public transportation. Although this may be more of a city culture difference then a French one, I can’t help but connect it with French culture. It’s very different going from a 10 minute maximum walk to class to a 45 minute metro ride to class everyday. While public transport is used in America, the French are much more dependent on it. There have been countless times where I have missed two trains simply because of the amount of people waiting to get on the metro. This was probably the biggest difference that I personally have noted.
                Another cultural difference is how the French perceive food. The times and what is eaten at each meal is very different then in America. Breakfast is generally very small, perhaps a croissant or cup of yogurt with a piece of fruit. Lunch is, or rather used to be, the biggest meal of the day. This generally occurs between 12-2. This however seems to be fading out, as it seems many people have switched to making dinner their biggest meal. Dinner is usually eaten around 8, and lasts for about two hours usually.  It was definitely hard getting used to waiting so long for dinner, as most places don’t even open until 6 and even then no one is there. The style of food is also very different. The
French don’t use as many preservatives in their food, so it is fresher. They also seem to eat for fruits and vegetables in general than Americans. Fast-food is not a thing in France. The French take great pride in their food. They make sure it is of good quality and take the time to make a proper meal.  They also This is a main part of their “cultural identity”. The French take pride in their food in much the same way as Americans take pride in sports. Another thing I have noticed is that most French people’s cultural identity is very similar when compared to Americans. Many Americans have very different reasons of why they like being American. Some may like the people where they live. Others may enjoy the cuisine. While still others may enjoy the land and what it has to offer, from beaches to mountains. Most French people seem to take pride in the same things, namely food, fashion,  and just being French. While Americans celebrate being a “mixing-pot” and being diverse, the French revel in being French and everything that comes with it. The French are  very ethnocentric people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.