Tuesday 17 February 2015

Intercultural Negotiations: Kibbutz Ketura

After seven days in Israel and the mind-boggling influx of stimulus that came with orientation and the first two days of classes, at the Arava Institute, I can say with certainty that this experience will help me to grow in ways I couldn’t have imagined back home. There are some interactions that demand your attention for days afterwards and with a group of 50 or so students and interns from Israel, Jordan, Palestine, Argentina, Ecuador, Mexico, Canada, and the United States cohabiting day in and day out for four and a half months, those interactions are bound to become much more frequent.
One type of interaction has struck me more profoundly than others. Before we go any further, my intention here is not to stereotype an entire nation based on the few people I’ve interacted with, but to try to process my experience. So far, I’ve been surprised by several interactions to find that how valued assertiveness is in Israeli culture.
In cultural studies, there are several categories used to contrast cultures. One of the major ways to contrast cultures is in the value placed on individualism and collectivism. Individualistic cultures value self-expression, speaking out, and confrontation while collectivist cultures value loyalty, and politeness. We like to think America is individualistic, but it’s clear to me that Israel is more individualistic than America.
In my individual interview to register for classes with the academic director, he responded very positively when I told him what I was interested in. When I answered immediately “Renewable energy, especially solar”, he said, “No hesitation – I like it!”
Letting others go first has been met with marginally less positive responses. I’ve gotten the impression it is seen as meek and slow to not stand your ground
An Israeli friend taught me the Israeli way to deal with a person who cuts in front of you (be it in a line or not) is to tap the person’s shoulder, maintain eye contact, and say (phonetically) “I-Eatie-Po”, to let them know, in no uncertain terms, that you are there. It is literally facing a conflict head on.

In class the culture of assertiveness is much the same. When a teacher says something that isn’t correct or leaves out a piece of information, the Israelis have addressed it immediately.

I’ve noticed the strong urge, in myself, to meet this cultural standard, but I have also felt that if I act differently as soon as I am placed in a different culture, that I am somehow turning my back on the way I was raised. Still, I think I can learn something useful from this culture. While it is unfamiliar and uncomfortable now, that is sometimes how we grow the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.