Thursday 4 June 2015

Coming Home

As Matthew Lynch explains in his Huffington Post Article "Diverse Conversations: The Globalization of Higher Education," it's become necessary for US post-secondary education institutions to provide global experience for their students. It has become just as much a marketing point as an educational opportunity for students. That being said, Allegheny has attempted to achieve this through programs such as the one I am finishing up now. To be cliché, the time I have spent here has definitely been a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. The education I've received extends far beyond the lectures I've attended for my classes. For example, just settling myself into a country using a different currency was a learning experience.

One of the biggest realizations I've come to by spending a semester abroad is how central America truly is to the world. For better or for worse, the global spotlight seems to be on America more than other countries. I understand that this could come across as a subjective view on things, but that statement is based off of conversations and interactions I've had with people I've met from across the world on this trip. At times it was almost embarrassing to have conversations with people because they knew so much about what was going on in America, but I had very little knowledge of politics and culture of Australia. Since arriving here, I have been familiarized with the culture, but it overlaps with American culture so much. The experience has given me the opportunity to make connections not only in Australia, but around the world. So many students come to James Cook University to study outside their home country, I've come to know people from all over the world. In this sense, I've gotten an understanding of how other cultures work as well. For example, I have made friends with people from England, Germany, Canada, Denmark, China, and more.  I have not only had the opportunity to create life-long friends around the world, but I have had the privilege of being exposed to different cultures and how getting a better idea on how the global community works.

As for helping to understand my own place in the world, my experience here has shown me that I could not live in northern Queensland, Australia. It was a wonderful place to visit and to experience, but there is no way I would be able to live here for a few reasons. First of all, the climate is not suited for me. I prefer a change in seasons. Although I can tell the climate has changed slightly since I've arrived, there is not a drastic change in seasons from the beginning to the end. The industry I want to work in and help to improve is the agriculture industry and the process of sustainable food production to feed the growing population of the Earth. However, Currently, Australia is fundamentally behind America when it comes to alternative forms of agriculture. In order for me to build off of and work with the current agricultural revolution, America or Europe is the place to be.

All in all, I've had the privilege of expanding my education in a foreign environment, meeting incredible people, and understanding where my geographical place and my social place in the world belongs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.