Tuesday 23 June 2015

Lessons from Study Away

Will Buxton says

“The weekend after the deadline for a piece of coursework for the class I met Michael in, him & I went out for a few of drinks. After having a couple in the bar we’d agreed to meet in, Michael suggested going to another place in town where he’d really liked the music on his previous visit. To me, the bar in question had a less-than-favourable reputation I’d tried to avoid during my three years in Lancaster. A chain associated in my mind with ultra-cheap drinks rowdy clientele, it was good for large groups making use of the student-friendly prices but seemed an odd choice for two people. But Michael insisted that the music was good and I eventually agreed.

We arrived and, lo and behold, it was precisely as I had recalled – a “quality” establishment with generic pop playing (the prices can’t be complained about, mind you…). I expected disappointment from Michael, but instead he had that attitude he’s known for: “We’re here – it’s not what we came for but they’ve got music and there’s an atmosphere, let’s have a good time”. He seems to always want to make the best of a situation – even one you wouldn’t normally go for isn’t just salvageable, but can be made a good one.”

The social calls of my experience turned out to be as equally eye opening as classes


Jeriel Bacani says

All exchange students from America I've encountered here at Lancaster are always super friendly and jolly, despite the gloomy and bipolar British weather that they are graced with upon their arrival. Michael especially, has been one of the most memorable exchange students I have met. Being one of the only three people in my External Intervention seminar who turned up at the end of term, I was really enlightened by his perception of the UK in comparison to the US, challenging the view on race and culture by our very flamboyant and fabulous lecturer. It intrigued me to experience someone who had a high degree of awareness with regards to the privileges enjoyed by Caucasians in the US and it certainly highlighted for me, the context of the recent events that one was only able to read about and hear about on the television. Michael's ability to share his own juxtaposition of British and American perceptions towards minorities gave us all a different viewpoint, which in my opinion was not only enlightening but embodied an encounter that I feel British students should be doing more of, which is engaging and learning more from the exchange students who pass through our university as often I feel that they are overlooked just because of their temporary stay here.

Getting to know Michael better was even more enlightening, during revision sessions I was able to not only get to know more about how the US has it much easier in terms of assessment breakdowns, but also at how much our perceived "crippling student debt" here, is nothing compared to our American counterparts. In terms of what defines Michael, from the aforementioned encounters would have to be his ability to cast his own outlook and enlighten those around him, sparking debate and thought that others may have otherwise have overlooked.”

Both of these stories are reflective of their authors. While Will and I really only socialized, and were more friends than just classmates by the end of our time together, Jeriel and I were academic peers. I learned a lot from the both of them. Both of these people I have written about in previous entries, which is why they are the two people I chose for this assessment. It was with Will that I made a faux pas of engaging too much in public, and Jeriel was present when I was speaking with my lecturer about race relations in England versus the US. Will’s story further highlights how I was different from the average British perception by smiling more, being more “positive” and generally not complaining as much as he deemed normal. An important caveat he didn’t mention is that the music playing at that establishment that night was not the same as the music playing there other times I had been there, and I was equally upset with the music choice of the evening. And while I may not be doing the very “British” thing of finding fault in the situation, I was glad for Will’s company on that occasion. Will has proven a valuable comrade, both in friendship and enlightening me on how to navigate the subtleties of British culture. Jeriel is another exchange student, and her insight is invaluable, and I was grateful to meet her. Her assessment of me as a thoughtful person came as a surprise, as I perceive myself as often quite absent minded and bumbling, and ill equipped for the complexities of British culture. Her support of my thoughts is high praise for me, and not taken for granted. Just as I learned from the professor we reference, I learn from her about how to listen more than speak, and to take new angles on situations. I do believe revising with her was a highlight of my academic experience in Lancaster, and Will’s social calls were just some of the off-hours highlights.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.