Tuesday 9 June 2015

Coming Home

Study abroad was by far one of the most amazing experiences of my life. From the friends I made to the countries I visited I don’t regret a single moment of my time there. There is a sense of connectedness in England, and around Europe, that just feels so different from American and American education. While studying in England I had the opportunity to see countries all over mainland Europe, for a fraction of what I would pay in America. I was able to see France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Austria, and the Netherlands, all over the course of a month. That month, including transport, food, and board, cost less than a round-trip ticket home to America would have. We don’t have that opportunity in the States. Even traveling from state to state is often expensive and taxing. However in England it’s common for people to pop over to Spain or France for a weekend. Through this experience I gained access to countries and ways of life I never thought I’d be exposed to. Study abroad turned into a learning experience, not even just in my destination school, but all over Europe. The chance to take a weekend and see points of interest like Belvedere and Eiffel Tower on a university student’s budget is an opportunity I’ll probably never have again and was one of the most significant learning experiences I’ve ever had.


These trips also allowed me the opportunity to be more conscious as my privilege as an English-speaker. With the exception of certain areas of France, we had no problem getting around any of the countries with visited because a majority of people spoke English. Although we tried to use the language of the country we were in whenever we could, it was still interesting to have that support to fall back on. It made time in a foreign country seem less intimidating. Overall this experience made me feel more connected to other countries, it made me want to try harder to get back to Europe one day. To see more of cultures I wouldn’t have been exposed to if it weren’t for this experience. Heading back to America I know I'm going to miss the feeling of being connected that I gained while I was at Lancaster. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.