Friday 19 December 2014

Test Entry

Gifted as a natural 'people person' with a passion for the environment, I've spent my time at Allegheny looking for ways to balance human needs with environmental protection. This February I continue that search by studying at the Arava Institute for Environmental Studies in Ketura, Israel where people from all over the world come together to try and figure out that same thing.


 I am excited at the potential that this trip holds. As Israel is a patchwork quilt of ideologies, religions, languages, and customs I will be exposed to many different cultures and to people with vastly different values and priorities. Given this, it will be imperative for me to learn how to adjust and adapt to working with all kinds of people; particularly as Ketura is only 200 people so everyone knows everyone!

A scene from the Kibbutz Ketura where the Arava Institute is located

My biggest professional goal while at Arava is to gain a better understanding of where I want my future to go. Currently, I'm thinking I want to do environmental remediation work (restoring the environment after pollution events), but I am well aware that is subject to change. The Arava Valley just had the worst man made natural disaster since Israel became a county--an oil spill which has contaminated most of the valley. This will be a prime opportunity to see whether remediation work is for me.

An aerial photograph capturing part of the oil spill





My biggest personal goal is to experience as much as I can. Currently, one of my best friends is studying in Israel, and she has loved her experience. I wish to follow some of what she has done, such as swim in the Dead Sea and Mediterranean Sea, as well as see new things for myself, such as visiting Jordan or Egypt or seeing a cultural performance. I hope to be able to look back on this experience with a better understanding of both cultures and myself as well as great memories, great photos, and some new great friends. 

Students of the Arava Institute
Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.