Tuesday 3 March 2015

How Others See Us

Before my arrival to Spain, I knew that because I am an American, there would be an instant stereotype. I figured that most people would assume that Americans are loud and obnoxious and to some extent that is true,but after talking to my host mother and her daughter, I realized there was more to it. My host sister was quick to stereotype our diets as burgers and pizza. She also stated that all American food is unhealthier than Spanish food. In America, I cook all of my food and eat a well balanced diet. While I eat a burger or pizza every once in a while, I certainly do not eat it everyday. Spanish food is a lot less processed and fresher, but it does not always mean that it's healthy.  
A crepe with gelato, whipped cream and chocolate sauce. So healthy right?

She was also quick to point out our work ethic. She said that everyone works all the time leading to a lot of stress. I can't argue with her on our stressful environment. Piti, my host mother, pointed out that our concept of family is very different. She assumed correctly that most families don't sit down together to eat meals because we are too busy, which is the total opposite of Spain. She also pointed out the difference in the youth here. Here the youth have way more fun than the youth in America. There is more to do plus the age of drinking and going to discotecas is 18 so many young people can enjoy themselves, unlike America where you have to wait until 21. 
One of the many festivals that occur in Spain. Carnavales de Cádiz.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.