Sunday 1 March 2015

Intercultural Negotiations

Intercultural Negotiations in Townsville

I have been in Australia for a little over two weeks now and have been put out of my comfort zone, been placed on my growing edge, learned intricate details about everyday life here and realized it is significantly different then what I know from the comfort and culture of my home environment. This all is very positive for me and I have been enjoying every minute of engaging with my peers here and discovering through experience and conversation with them, the differences in every day life here in Australia compared to back home in the US.

I have not had one specific encounter of the difference in life here compared to the life I live back in the states, but rather, I have had a continuation of small experiences and observations over the last two weeks that have set the culture here apart from the culture that I know.

I would like to start out by stating that the drinking age here is 18 which in itself creates a different environment. Here, drinking alcohol is not taboo like it seems to be in my home culture. Here, there is an organization called Red Frogs which is operated throughout the country, where people come in to the College during nights which are expected to have large amounts of partying. They stay sober the whole night and wander around checking up on everyone making sure they are safe, healthy, and having a good time. They offer free food and water to everyone, they don't judge you, and if you feel uncomfortable, are not having a good time, or need medical attention, they are right there to help. Also, downtown at night, there are tents set up with trained medical staff in the tents handing out water, and proveding a place for people to rest, get food, and stay safe. People just seem to look after each other here. Everyone feels as though they have the duty to have each other's back.

So far, from what I have experienced here in North Queensland, people are genuine, polite, laid back and swallow their pride. While running through the Brisbane airport to reach my connecting flight, I encountered the nicest airport security officer. I was in a rush and asked if I needed to take my laptop out of my backpack. Instead of looking at me like I was going to blow up the entire airport, she just answered my question with a pleasant smile and proceeded to assist me in taking the laptop out of its case. I have never experienced that type of hospitality in a security line at and airport. The kindness and politeness continued as I began to meet people here at James Cook University. Everyone is interested in hearing my story, and helping me find my way. Walking down the street, I am always greeted by others with a pleasant smile and every other student I have meet had been nothing but friendly and inviting. In the dinning hall, people make it a point to sit with anyone who is sitting alone instead of just gawking at them or ignoring them. It is so refreshing to be in an environment where people don't hold grudges and are open to meeting new friends and hanging out with new people.

In the reading, I thought it was very interesting how they discussed the importance of understanding another person's culture to be able to fully communicate with them. Along with the politeness and friendliness, people here are a lot more liberal with their language as well have a peculiar sense of humor. For me, it is somewhat difficult to hear some of the language that people here toss around on a daily basis, but I also am aware that it is important to put into perspective that people here are of a different culture, have had different life experiences and are born in a country with a very different historical background then mine. Finding the ability to overcome cultural differences and understand the Aussie way is nothing less then crucial for me to fully appreciate the personalities of the kind hearted Aussie people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.