Saturday 14 March 2015

How Others See Us

I have interviewed four Australian friends from different backgrounds. One has been to America, one is of Chinese origin, one is of Indian origin, and one has never been to America but has worked with Americans. I find this necessary to note down because that means I had various perspectives from Australia for the informal interviews. Interestingly, all of them had very similar thoughts tabout American people and about me, their interviewer.

About opinions on Americans, the four Australian interviewees stated Americans seem to be very loud. "We only become loud when we drink" - said one of the interviewees. Some indicated Americans make a lot of jokes: "not that Americans do not take thing seriously" but that is just how American see things ... as funny or hilarious. As I understand it, perhaps these friends see Americans as people who seem to know how to enjoy life. Two of them also mentioned swearing as a very "cool" thing Americans do. To me, this specific opinion sounds informal to address but it is also necessary. It reflects well how young adults view one another in an international context, in terms of exhibited behaviors.

About their opinions on me, when I asked "do you think whether I fit in your image of Americans?" although half answered "yes", while the other half answered "no", their explanations had many ideas in common. One of the individuals who did not see me as a typical American, had already known I am actually not American, but a Vietnamese who has lived in the United States for five years. To him, since I do not have permanent citizenship in the U.S., I am not a 'true' American; however, he went further and said that "five years place you somehow in the process [of becoming an American]." The other who viewed me as not typically American said: "Not really, you're more quiet." Besides that, one student who found me to be more American, said that "from a distance, the way I behave was very American-like." By that, the friend meant that without talking and getting to know me better, he would have taken me to be an American, or Asian American. The other friend who also found me to be more American-like believes that America is very similar to Australia in term of having a multicultural society in which it is "hard to pint point" who is 'truly' American, who is Asian, and so on. She believes nowadays we all have mixed identities and therefore, she views me as an American. The ways in which all of the four interviewed Australians responded, talking about my identity, shows a consensus that I definitely look South-east Asian (Vietnamese), but westernized, none the less. Two of them coincidentally coined the term "Westernized Asian" describing me. I find this is very interesting and true.

Nowadays, we all potentially have mixed identities.
The photo was captured in an Chinese restaurant in Townsville, QLD, Australia.
In short, I find the friend who has mentioned the idea of "multicultural society" has an admirable way of thinking. Nowadays, as globalization becomes more prevalent, it is harder to fix one's identity. As everyone in the world comes closer identities become more mixed, looking at one's physical appearance will eventually become an outdated sign to predict one's origin or background. Instead, communication or intercultural exchange via face-to-face interactions will be a better way for us to learn about each other. In addition, labels hopefully will be outdated by then as well: "I think the reason why racism exists is just because we still keep bringing it up" - said one of my interviewed Australian friends.
Drinking culture is one of the characteristics that Australians view their country has in similar with that of Americans.
The photo captured at a downtown tavern. Multicultural society is also reflected in this photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.