Tuesday 10 March 2015

Reflecting on Experience

Going into college three years ago, I had no idea what “white privilege” was; I had a poor understanding of racism.  I could have been easily summarized by Peggy McIntosh’s reference to how the majority of whites view racism:  “….I was taught to recognize racism only in individual acts of meanness by members of my group, never in the invisible systems conferring unsought racial dominance on my group from birth.”  To young Emily, racism was the actively held belief of consciously hating another group of people because of their skin color, which I found absurd and dumbfounding that someone could feel such a ridiculous way – a way that was clearly false.  That’s the big thing, it all seemed to clear; until I went to college and discovered how complicated the whole issue of race was.  And just like the people McIntosh is referencing in her article, I was confused by the concept of white privilege and thought it was only a method of further separating races, and continue perpetuating racism (as I viewed racism as the exaggerated differences between two groups of people with different skin color).  Since then, I have taken many courses at my wonderful college, and I have a much better understanding of white privilege.  I no longer struggle to admit the systematic advantage I have over those of different skin colors, ethnicities, physical abilities, etc. 

The place I have traveled for the semester does not accentuate my privilege as I am attending Duke and the majority of students are a higher socio-economic class than my family, as well as mostly white heterosexuals.  However, it has caused me to reflect on the privileged nature of most college students, especially those who study a considerable distance from home.  Growing up, American children are repeatedly told that they can do anything, become anything they want, and most of all: go to college with ease.  However, this is untrue.  It all begins before college and is tied into one’s family situation.  It is well known that students perform better when they have parents or guardians actively helping them, which not all children are privileged enough to have due to financial situations or possibly the death of a parent.  Furthermore, many high school students have no choice but to maintain a job throughout school to contribute towards the household – leaving them at a disadvantage in their studies compared to those who have unlimited time to study and complete homework.  And the same situation applies to college, not all young adults can leave home to go off to college.  Many must take care of parents or younger siblings.

On a broader scale, there are many advantages Americans have over those residing in other countries.  For example, we can generally express our disagreement with government policies without being persecuted, unlike other countries like Russia, under our constitutional freedom of speech protections.  We can also publicly express a sexual orientation other than heterosexuality without being imprisoned, unlike countries like Nigeria or Iraq (though heterosexuals are definitely privileged over non-heterosexuals in all countries, including the United States).

Traveling, especially between countries, demonstrates racial and nationality privileges.  White Americans travel with minimal stress and harassment.  During my travels to and from St. John, U.S.V.I. and Costa Rica several years ago, I recall having no trouble with security or being processed through customs.  However, many people of color I know talk of how they are frequently “randomly screened” for additional security when traveling.  And less obviously, while traveling I do not have to worry as much as those of other races about being judged or mistreated by common people or businesses when going about my day.  I worry less about being accepted by pretty much anyone in the world because of my race. 
The impact of skin color on social power.

At the Duke Marine Lab, it is difficult to firmly judge our stance on community as we are a very small institution.  There are only 22 undergraduates and a minimal staff and faculty.  However, from my experience I believe we do not integrate the local community into our small sub-college.  When we host events such as the annual Oyster Roast, I do not notice any locals present.  We also do not have many (or any) programs to give back to or strengthen community.  Therefore, I would declare that we exercise power from the top, which is problematic as we are in a lower socioeconomic town, where it is especially important to build relationships.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.