Sunday 31 May 2015

Coming Home

Growing up in a family that didn’t travel much, I had always dreamed of visiting other countries to see how they differ from my own. My parents didn’t believe that I was actually going to go through with my plans of studying abroad in Australia (a country I had always wanted to visit because of its unique environment and people), but I managed to do so with their support. Before leaving, I created a list of things that I wished to accomplish while abroad—mainly become a more independent, outgoing, well-rounded individual. It has been an expensive but rewarding opportunity, and I would not change my mind for anything.

After being in Australia for 4 months now, I have been immersed in the culture and definitely grown as an individual. Dr. George Forsythe describes what being in a global institution does for students well by saying that it, “…opens students to new points of view, challenges their thinking about themselves and their world, and sets the stage for personal and professional growth…gain an appreciation for their own culture and equips them with the skills to succeed in a global economy” (2013). Taking part in an Indigenous course while at JCU has helped open my eyes to what goes on in the world that I did not know about until studying in a different country. I have also learned how the average Australian acts and lives through many conversations. Oftentimes, both Americans and Australians try to figure out what is similar and different about our lifestyles. These conversations started lifelong friendships between people of various cultures that can easily be continued with the use of the technology available today. One way to learn about another culture is to become active in some activities. I decided to try playing cricket (a very confusing sport, but it turns out I was decent at it due to my background in softball/tennis) and the Australians I played with were all very helpful, supportive and of course curious about American practices. The ability to ask and understand how others live is an important quality everyone I’ve met has developed, and this characteristic will benefit all of us as we strive to succeed in a more global economy. I have also noticed a difference in how I think and act along with how I have learned to appreciate my culture and its unique qualities since starting in Australia. These are all skills that a study abroad experience can give students choosing this path.

A picture of me (taken by one of my friends) playing in one of my first cricket games!

Thus, I have been able to acquire many important qualities and become a more knowledgeable ‘global’ citizen because of my study abroad experience. I would love to encourage more people to seize the opportunity of living and studying in another country because it has opened my eyes to new ideas and concepts along with given me the adventure of a lifetime!


Lynch, M (2013). Diverse Conversations: The Globalization of Higher Education. Retrieved
     from: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/matthew-lynch-edd/diverse-conversations-
     the_1_b_3238504.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.