Tuesday 26 May 2015

Lessons from Study Away

     Even though I have only spent a few months in Angers, I have made some friends that I know I will never forget. I have become so close to people here and I am extremely motivated to return to France and visit other parts of the world just to see these people. Because some my friends here were also my dedicated traveling partners, they have gotten to know me pretty well in a rather short period of time. The result of being able to travel with someone is different and closer bond.

     The person I am closest to in this country is named Sylvain. He was born in Brittany, but he is working before pursuing his masters in Angers, the city where I have been studying for the past few months. We have traveled together to his parents’ house in Brittany twice. The first time that we visited, it was just the beginning of spring, so the weather was rather cold and rainy. Since his parents live close to the sea, we took a trip down to the shore with one of his friends that he grew up with and we all relaxed by the waves. A short period after, they got up and walked into the cold ocean without hesitation. Naturally, I got up and followed them into the water, knowing I was not nearly as used to the low temperature as they were. Both of them looked back at me with surprised looks on their faces while I had a big smile on my face, and at that moment I could tell that they did not expect me to follow them. Sylvain tells me that this demonstrates an interesting aspect of my personality, which is that I am afraid of “nearly nothing” and that new experiences don’t frighten me no matter how generally difficult they are. I can agree with this statement because I know that I can enjoy almost everything without a complaint and there will usually be a smile on my face no matter the circumstances. This is partially a result of my abroad experience, which has taught me that new things to explore are nothing to be afraid of. This defines me in the way that I am a generally happy person and that I have always loved trying new things. This has only enhanced from my time in France.

My two friends from Brittany walking into the cold ocean


     Another person I am now very close to is a woman from Canada named Kelsey. Both Sylvain and Kelsey have witnessed me working on different projects, like quitting bad habits and planning my future goals. During my experience here, I woke up one day and decided to quit smoking. I ironically succeeded to do this in a country where the percentage of smokers is much higher than in the United States. My friends believe this shows my strong will to do the tasks that I set my mind to. I can agree that, due to my strong will, I have the ability to change certain aspects of my life as abruptly as overnight, and if not overnight then typically soon after I have made the decision. Both individuals have heard me talking about how I will return to France countless times. There are two programs that I plan on applying for in order teach English to French students after I have received my diploma from Allegheny. I have spent the entire semester meeting people that are involved with these programs as well as gathering useful information that I will need to make important decisions about these programs in my future. Kelsey and Sylvain explained to me that I am a very determined person and that my desire to succeed motivates me to do the best that I can in any situation. I believe this defines an aspect of my personality that is almost always present: my competitiveness. In addition, this part of my personality truly reflects my American culture in terms of being a self-made woman that works hard to have the life that I truly want. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.