Monday 11 May 2015

Why Am I Here?

Similarly to Talya Zemach-Bersin in her essay "American Students Abroad Can't Be 'Global Citizens'", I had a particular set of expectations before I came to Australia. I was excited to experience a new culture and broaden my understanding of how other countries work. However, Zemach-Bersin observes through her own experience that "American students who travel abroad cannot be expected to transcend historical, political, social, and global systems of power in order to become cross-culturally immersed "Global Citizens." I have found this to be true in my own experience abroad. I really enjoy talking to Australians about different policies in Australia and comparing them to the United States and talking about which one would be best. With all the social unrest in the United States since the beginning of my trip, it is interesting to get opinions of people from other countries and other cultures in an attempt to look at the issues from a different perspective. Despite this, there times within these conversations that cause either one-sided or mutual discomfort. I find myself tip-toeing on eggshells and really thinking about at what I'm saying and how I'm saying it.

An example of a conversation I've had with an Australian about the military was what Talya Zemach-Bersin would call a "productive discomfort" situation - A situation which gives rise to knowledge, but at the same time makes an individual uncomfortable. I was able to talk to someone who works for the Australian Army and we were talking about the different social benefits that the United States military gives to soldiers such as discounts at places and just the overall attitude of affection and gratification the US generally has towards the troops. Fighting for your country where every you are is a very honorable life, or fighting for anything you believe in is honorable for that matter. However, he was saying how in comparison to how the soldiers in the US are treated, the Australian soldiers aren't treated with the same heightened sense of love and appreciation. After hearing this, initially I felt uncomfortable. However, it made me more aware of the fact that he was getting at. In the United States there are yellow support ribbons everywhere reading "Support our Troops." I have not noticed nearly as much of that here in Australia. It has made me wonder if it's just because of the difference political structure, a product of the history of the countries, the result of a social trends, or some of all three. Overall the experience uncomfortable for me, but I was able to become more aware and observant to the differences in military opinion between the United States and Australia. Talya Zemach-Bersin would say I cannot become a "global citizen" because I have the very strong United States opinion and understanding of what it means to be an American Citizen. I can do all the comparing cultures and idea I like, but in the end I will inevitably be bias on my opinions based on my upbringing as an American Citizen and there will always be cultural situations that make me uncomfortable because of it.

Zemach-Bersin, Talya. (2008). American Student Can't be 'Global Citizens'. Chronicle Commentary Volume 54, Issue 26, Page A34.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.